Roseville residents who think they have what it takes to be one of the area’s most water-wise home owners, may win a complete landscape makeover.
Courtesy of the city of Roseville, Quick Quack Car Wash and Green Acres Nursery and Supply, the “Sustain the Gains” contest allows Roseville homeowners to compete for the crown of water efficiency king.
Since 2013, Roseville made a lot of progress in terms of reducing water consumption – more than 30 percent to be exact. The Sustain the Gains contest is an effort to keep that momentum going. The winner of the contest will have their “front yard re-imagined and transformed into a low-water-use landscape.” The “Landscape Makeover” will be for up to 1,500 square feet of landscape in the front yard valued at up to $12,000. The contest rules can be found here. You must enter by Aug. 31.
The city reminds Roseville residents that there are a variety of rebates available for residents that utilize efficient water technology. Rebates include: high-efficiency toilets, lawn conversions, irrigation efficiency and weather-based irrigation timers. On July 1, this list was expanded. For more information, visit the city’s website.
And for those looking to enhance their water efficiency, here are some quick tips:
- Decrease time spent in the shower.
- Turn off the water when brushing your teeth and hand-washing dishes.
- Run major appliances like the dishwasher, washing machine and dryer before peak times (run them between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m.)
- Hire a professional to inspect your house’s pipes for leaks.
- Use hand tools like a broom to clean off pavement. Avoid relying on the hose.